2018 UPDATE :
PRICES have not fully come back to their 2005-2006 highs, so NOW is a GREAT time to consider a purchase. WORD IS OUT AND PUNA HAS BEEN DISCOVERED….. BUT STILL THE BEST VALUES IN THE STATE FOR PROPERTY!!! The Puna area is one of the fastest growing areas in the State. Proximity to Hilo (the main business center and largest city on the Island) is a plus, yet within minutes of town you are out in old hawaii, with plenty of open space and quiet. Best prices in the State for decent farmland and 1-3 acre lots starting at only $20-35,000 25-50 acres of farmland/pasture starting at only $200,000 up. Homes at $200,000 up up on 1-3 acre properties. There are approx 24 major subdivisions in the Puna area most of which were developed 60-65 years ago. Starting from ocean level up to 3000 ft elevation, each has something different to offer. Some offer all utilities and paved roads, whereas others are secluded, with gravel roads. Most have catchment water, i.e. you have a holding tank and pump system, thus sufficient rainfall to supply your water needs.
HERE is a brief description of the major subdivisions numbered on the map and approx. prices: ALL ARE FEE SIMPLE (i.e. you own forever) ALL prices subject to change and availability:
PUNA SUBDIVISIONS – approx price range and general info 2/16
(prices vary greatly in each subdivision)
1) MAUNA LOA ESTATES: Near Volcano Village, 20,000sf lots, some paved rds, most have electric, approx 3000 ft elevation. Enter on Jade St from Hwy 11 near 27 mi marker, approx 1/2 volcano village prices. $25-40,000.
2) OHIA ESTATES: Directly below and adjacent to Mauna Loa Est. Front lots 9150sf, Back lots 15,700sf. Most have electric. Pvd rds. Enter Nahelenani St, approx 25 mi marker off Hwy 11. $15000-22,000.
3) ROYAL HAWN. EST.: Below Ohia Est, front lots 9-10,000sf back lots (flagged shaped) 20-21,500sf. Many have electric. all paved roads. Enter Alii Kane, Alii Koa, and Alii Anela sts. off Hwy 11, approx 23-24 mi marker $12-15,000
4) HAWAII ORCHID ISLAND EST: 3 Ac square lots, sits behind Royal Hwn Est. Some sts have electric, main roads paved, others gravel, $45000 up when avail.
5) FERN FOREST VAC. EST: 3ac lots, some square lots, most have electric, main road paved, others gravel. 2200-2700ft elevation $16000-35,000.
6) EDEN ROCK EST: 1AC lots, some electric, approx 2000 ft elevation. Enter Kopua Rd, just past Mt View, $13-20,000.
7) FERN ACRES: 2 AC lots, most rds paved or excellent gravel rds, almost all have electric, Enter Kulani Rd, just before Mt. View. $22-40,000
8) HAWAIIAN ACRES: 3 AC lots, main road paved, side roads gravel, some quite rough, enter Kulani rd or Kuaili Rd, past Kurtistown.. most have electric, 800-1200 ft elevation. $18-25,000. On paved road $40-55,000
9) ORCHID LAND EST: 1, 2 & 3 AC Lots, most have electric, 500-800 ft elevation, enter Pahoa Hwy, Pohaku, Orchid Land Dr, Aulii or Ainaloa, or off Hwy 11 just before Kurtistown, Olaa Rd $25-50,000
10) HWN. PARADISE PARK: 1 AC lots and 1/2 AC lots in Kaloli Point (near ocean area) Good comm. assoc., Main roads paved, side rds. well maintained gravel rds. Ocean to 500 ft elevation Approx $25,000-35,000 up. Near Ocean lots $90-150,000, Oceanfront $250,000 and up (when available)
11) TIKI GRNS: 8100sf lots, some on pvd road some on electric, up Ainaloa Blvd.. $13-25,00012) AINALOA: 12,000sf lots, good roads, most have electric, enter off Hwy 130 (Keaau to Pahoa) $12000 up.
13) HWN. BEACHES, PARKS, SHORES: 9-20,000sf lots, all utilities and county roads, $12-25,000 and lots near ocean with undergrownd utilities $85-100,000 and Ocean lots $180,000 up.14) WAA WAA SUBDIVISION 3 ACRE LOTS lush old hawaii vegetation, no utilities $75,000 up Oceanfront $200,000 up.
15) NANAWALE EST: 8040 sf lots, electric. NOW starting at $4000 up.
6) LEILANI EST: 1AC lots, some square lots, all paved roads, most have building covenants, unit 1 has no covenants and gravel roads, community assoc. $22,000 up.
17) KAPOHO BCH LOTS, VACATIONLAND: Near Ocean area, Beach lots is gated community, most have electric. lots $100,000 or so up, Vacationland 8-9,000sf lots, $80,000 up and 5 ac lots near Hwy for $170,000 up.
18) KALAPANA SEAVIEW EST: 7500-8000sf lots, most have electric, some with ocean views $20-55,000. KEHENA BEACH EST 8000-9000sf lots with electric, lushtropical vegetation, $55,000 up. PUNA BEACH PALASADES 17000-20,000sf lots, electric, views $85,000 up
19) BLACK SANDS SUB: 7500-9000sf lots, electric $8,000 up
20) GLENWOOD GARDENS 24) ALOHA EST: 12,000sf lots, deep soil, some with electric, past Mt View, Aloha Enter Mauna Kea Rd and Glenwood Grns enter Lehuanani Rd. $9000-12000
21) PAC PAR MT VIEW MANOR: 8-9000sf lots, most paved roads has electric, soil, enter Oshiro Rd, past Mt View. $12-18000
22) PAC PARADISE GRNS: 7700-9000sf lots, paved county roads, all utilities, $35-45K
23) HIPA, PAC PAR DEV. : Approx 8000sf lots, soil, some electric, Off Ihope Road, $7000 up.
24) VOLCANO VILLAGE – approx 3000ft elevation has cooler climate, special feel with pines, camelias, hydrangias. Artist community. From small lots from $30,000 up to 3acre parcels Lots $120,000 up, Near Volcano National Park.